December 13th, 2016
- Through 2016, the financial impact of cybercrime will grow 10% per year.
- There are 378 million victims of cybercrime each year; 1 million victims each day—12 victims per second. Cybercrime cost US companies $38 billion in 2013.
- Since January 2005, 608,087,870 records have been exposed in 3,763 data breaches in the U.S.
- At best SPAM is a productivity killer. At worst, it can be the conduit to a virus that will plant spyware or take down your network.
- According to Kaspersky Lab, in Q3, 2013 3.9% of all email sent contains malicious attachments and 68.3% of all email traffic can be considered SPAM.
- Stolen Intellectual Property
- Breach of Privacy Act
- System Downtime
- Ruined Reputation
Phishing emails appear to come from a trusted source like your email provider, phone company, etc. and are designed to steal personal information. (Usually asks for personal data, login information, etc)
Spoofing emails impersonate someone else in order to trick the target into doing something they might not ordinarily do. (Could be as simple as clicking a link.)
1. Contact the IT department immediately upon receiving a suspicious email.
2. If any of your machines were breached, disconnect them from your network.
3. Determine the extent of data that was compromised.
4. Notify the affected parties inside and outside your business. Better yet…stop email security breaches before they happen!
- IP Address Reputation – Identify malicious senders with pattern matching that can source senders’ IP addresses.
- Server Recon – Employ an effective SMTP defense technique that defeats common spammer automation behaviors.
- Email Communities – Using techniques similar to modern social networks, self-manage a community of permitted email senders for each user in your organization.
- Anti-Virus Software – Constantly update virus signatures for both email body and attachments.
- Anti-Spoofing Technology – Protect your organization from identity theft and other phishing schemes that attempt to steal personal or corporate information such as on-line banking logins.
- Or… work with a partner who can implement all of this for you. Sendio’s email security technology combines a set of tightly integrated layers that eliminate malicious threats and spam campaigns.